Cape Town – A tremor measuring 3.4 on the Richter Scale was experienced in the Southern Cape on Tuesday morning, the George Municipality has confirmed.
"The … area experienced seismic activity this morning at approximately 08:25," said spokesperson Chantel Edwards-Klose.
"The tremor ran 6km deep along the Cango faultline. The Cango Caves have been temporarily closed to assess but no damage has been reported so far anywhere."
She said the Council for Geoscience is in contact with Eden Disaster Management, although the tremor is considered low grade.
According to senior scientist Eldridge Kgaswane at the Council for Geoscience, who monitor seismic activity across SA, the earthquake occurred around the Prince Albert area.
"Preliminary indications are that it is a natural earthquake at depth of roughly 5km and occurred in a remote mountainous area," he said, adding that they have not received any reports from the Cango Caves at this stage.
In February, a mini earth tremor was experienced in parts of KwaZulu-Natal.
It lasted about four seconds, and was felt from Richards Bay all the way to the Midlands.
It reportedly measured 3.1. No injuries were reported.